A rich mixture that’s not too sweet but just enough to be enjoyed as a warm after-dinner treat.
1/2 cup pitted dates
1 cup uncooked brown rice
4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon NOW Real Food® Organic Vanilla Extract*
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Almonds*
- Place dates in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup boiling water over them.
- Let soak 15 minutes, then transfer dates and water to a blender and puree until smooth to make a date syrup.
- Meanwhile, bring rice and almond milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rice is cooked and has absorbed most of the almond milk, stirring occasionally; about 45 minutes.
- Stir date syrup, raisins, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon and almonds into rice and serve warm.
Per serving: 280 calories (70 from fat)
7 g total fat
0 g saturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
125 mg sodium
50 g total carbohydrate (4 g dietary fiber, 19 g sugar)
6 g protein
NOW Foods (n.d.). Almond Brown Rice Pudding Retrieved from http://www.nowfoods.com/Foods/Real-Food/Recipes/089065.htm